Thursday, Jul 24th

Last updateWed, 23 Jul 2014 8am

You are here: Home Sports Racing Willis, Stallings split Limited Sportsman wins

Willis, Stallings split Limited Sportsman wins

It was a good night Saturday at South Boston Speedway for Limited Sportsman Division points leader Danny Willis Jr., with the Cluster Springs driver winning his fourth race of the year in the first of twin 50-lap races and ending his night with a second-place finish in the nightcap.

It was also a good night for Danville driver Blake Stallings, who finished fourth in the first race and took home his second win of the season in the nightcap.

Willis took home his third pole award of the season and led each lap of the opener, finishing 2.647 seconds ahead of South Boston driver Mike Jones in the opener, with Tommy Peregoy of Clarksville, J.D. Eversole of Chesterfield and Stallings rounding out the top-five finishers.

Jones was disqualified after his car failed to pass a post-race technical inspection by track NASCAR officials, with Peregoy, Eversole Stallings and Garrett Bunch of Front Royal being awarded second- through fifth-place in a race that took 18 minutes to run and had one caution flag.

“It was sure hooked up, and it was pretty awesome to get a win on Father’s Day, my first Father’s Day,” said Willis after race one, also noting his late father’s birthday.

“My dad’s birthday is tomorrow (Sunday), and I want to wish him a happy Father’s Day,” said Willis.

Tire wear became a factor in his race, with the right rear tire blistered after 50 laps, according to Peregoy.

“You got what you got, and if it bites you, it bites you and if it don’t it won’t,” said Peregoy.

Bunch sat on the pole after a five-car inversion for race two, followed by Stallings, Eversole, Peregoy and Willis.

Stallings passed Bunch for the lead on lap four and led the rest of the way, beating Willis to the checkered flag by 2.760 seconds in a race that took 28 minutes to complete.

Bunch finished third, and Eversole and Peregoy rounded out the top-five finishers in a race delayed twice by caution flags on two separate occasions, including one on lap two that took out Daniel Moss, Michael Maresca, Libby Privette and Trey Crews.

Drawing the outside pole for race two turned out to be to his advantage, according to Stallings.

“We started on the outside, managed to clear him (Bunch) and than ran away with it,” he said.

“I’m a lot more comfortable out front.  It seems that when I follow behind somebody for awhile I stress out a little bit and am not as relaxed as I need to be.

“When I’m out in front, I kind of cruise like it’s practice.”

His win came despite having to change motors at the track prior to practice, Stallings added.

“This is a big confidence booster,” he said.  “It felt so good to be able to be in front again and win another race.  Hopefully, we’ll be a few more this season.”

“It was good hard battling and a lot of fun,” said Willis after race two.  “I hated that we came up a little short, and I don’t know if I could have caught Blake or not, but me and Bunch had a good battle for second.

“We come home with a first and a second and a pole, and you can’t say nothing about that.”

“Danny’s tough here, and he’s been racing here a long time, no doubt he’s probably the top of the Limited class right now,” said Bunch.

“He’ll race you hard and he’ll race you clean like he did with me the past couple of weeks.”

Willis ran a lap in 16.194 seconds (88.922 MPH) to win the pole.


Allred awarded Pure Stock race win

Scottsburg driver Joe Allred III was awarded the win in the 30-lap Budweiser Pure Stock race Saturday night at South Boston Speedway, keeping the points lead in a hotly contested division.

Nathan Crews of Long Island had the fastest qualifying time and led the entire race, crossing the finish line ahead of Allred.

Crews, however, was disqualified after his car failed to pass a post-race technical inspection by track NASCAR officials. 

Stuart Crews of Long Island finished second, Johnny Layne of Crystal Hill finished third, and Daniel Crews of Long Island and Eric Crews of Long Island rounded out the top-five finishers, and Harrison Walker of Buffalo Junction, Austin Milam of Ringgold, Jimmy Wade of Halifax, Bruce Mayo of Halifax and Vic Ingram of Danville rounded out the top-10 finishers in a race that took 24 minutes to complete and was delayed three times by caution flags.

The second caution of the race came on the restart following the initial caution and involved five cars, with the car of Randy Hupp forced to retire from the race.