Tuesday, Jul 22nd

Last updateMon, 21 Jul 2014 8am

You are here: Home Sports Racing Willis streak now at three after LS victory

Willis streak now at three after LS victory

The win streak for Danny Willis Jr. in the Limited Sportsman Division reached three after a green flag to checkered flag run in Saturday’s 50-lap Limited Sportsman Division race at South Boston Speedway.

Willis, from Cluster Springs, won the pole with a time of 16.123 seconds and led the entire race, pulling away on the restart following the race’s only caution on lap 37 and winning by 2.874 seconds over Summerfield, N.C. driver Bobby McCarty.

Blake Stallings of Danville came home third, with Mike Jones of South Boston and Charles Barnes of Chase City rounding out the top-five finishers in a race that took 18 minutes to complete.

Willis led by comfortable margins for most of the race, with Barnes and Jones trading second and third until lap 22, when hard-charging McCarty, who started from the rear of the field, passed Barnes for third-place.

He passed Jones for second on lap 39 but couldn’t catch Willis, who stretched his advantage on the restart following the caution to win by almost three seconds.

“The car was hooked up, and the last couple of weeks it’s been like this, on a rail,” said Willis.

“If we can just keep it like that…I know Bobby is tough, he started from the rear and I hated to see that caution.

“When he got to second I said, ‘Please don’t let no more cautions come out, just come on and stretch it out and come on home, because I knew he was going to be tough.

“Luckily, we could bring home the win tonight.”

McCarty made some changes to his car after qualifying and started from the rear of the field.

“We didn’t get the forward bite Danny has, his car is so hooked up…we have some homework we need to do, but we’ll get it right,” said McCarty.

“We’ll get the car back to where it was, and we’ll be all right.”


Allred, Daniel Crews split Pure Stock wins

Scottsburg driver Joe Allred III maintained his points lead in the Pure Stock Division after Saturday night’s twin 30-lap races.

Allred, the defending division champion, won his fourth race of the year in the first race Saturday night, and Daniel Crews won his first-ever Pure Stock race in the nightcap.

Allred, winner of the first three Pure Stock races at South Boston Speedway, started ninth in the first race after an inversion but quickly charged through the field, reaching third by lap four and second by lap six.

He passed Halifax driver Randy Hupp for the lead on lap seven and never looked back, leading the final 23 laps and beating Halifax driver Trey Crews to the finish line by 1.456 seconds.

Stuart Crews of Long Island finished third, Hupp finished fourth and Eric Crews of Long Island finished fifth, followed by Courtney Crosby of Scottsburg, Jake Brown of South Boston, Bruce Mayo of Halifax, Jeremy Ratliff of South Boston and Jared Gillis of Stem, N.C., rounding out the top-ten finishers.

Pole sitter Nathan Crews of Long Island, who set a new Pure Stock qualifying record with a time of 18.014, finished in 15th-place.

The first Pure Stock race was caution-free and took 10 minutes to complete.

Stuart Crews and Trey Crews had probably their best runs of the season in race one, but Allred took advantage of other drivers’ mistakes to come through the field.

“There were a whole lot of mistakes going on out there, and I took advantage of every one I could,” said Allred.

“I’m actually shocked I’m standing here.”

The Pure Stock nightcap took an entirely different tone early on, with the first of four caution flags flying on lap three.

A six-car inversion saw Crosby sit on the pole, followed by Eric Crews, Hupp, Stuart Crews, Trey Crews and Allred, with eventual winner Daniel Crews starting at the rear of the field.

Crosby held the lead for two laps before Hupp passed him, and Trey Crews passed Hupp for the lead on lap four, maintaining the top spot until lap 29.

Daniel Crews, driving the No. 3 car for Nathan Crews, had reached the top-four by lap 10 and sat in third place by lap 14.

He reached second place by lap 17 and emerged after a battle with Hupp behind Trey Crews on lap 26, passing for the race lead on the next to final lap.

Daniel Crews crossed the finish line 0.760 seconds ahead of Trey Crews in a race that took 35 minutes to complete, with Hupp finishing third, Stuart Crews finishing fourth and Eric Crews finishing fifth.

Hupp has been running a new racecar this season, and it’s coming into its own race by race.

“You know with anything new you have to work on it to get it to where it needs to be,” said Hupp.

“But, if we keep working on it we’ll be running with these guys at the end.”

If not for a little slip on the track the next to last lap, Trey Crews may have collected his first win of the season.

“We had a great car at the beginning and all through the race until the last couple of laps, I guess the tires were just burned out,” said Crews.

“Definitely the No. 3 was the fastest car here tonight, it came from the rear and passed everybody.”

Daniel Crews had to sub for Nathan Crews the last race after the regular driver of the No. 3 fell ill.


Ricketts wins Legedary Flatheads

Garland Ricketts of South Boston charged past Clayton Smith on lap five of a 10-lap race and won his third Legendary Flatheads race of the season.

Ricketts, who owns two wins already at Ace Speedway near Elon, N.C., won the Modified Division, while Carlton Pugh, third overall finisher among four cars, won the Sportsman Division.