- Last Updated on 07:41 AM 08/30/13
- BY Doug Ford
The Halifax County High School varsity volleyball team played a competitive match against Person High School during its season-opener at home Tuesday.
It still wasn’t enough for a breakthrough win against the Rockets, with the Comets coming out on the short end of 25-20, 25-17 and 25-19 scores.
Miscues at key points cost the Comets a chance at winning despite Halifax holding an early lead in game one and leading 15-15 in game three before losing the game and the match.
When Halifax played their game, they competed well, according to Coach Tiffaney Bratton, but Person had the advantage when the Comets were caught out of position.
“Person High School has a good team, and they are a well-coached team,” said Bratton.
“They started moving us around and hitting the lines. We regrouped and covered that, but in doing that we got out of our game.
We kind of fell apart. That’s not our game, our game is bump, set, spike with some power.”
Cecilie Elliott led Halifax County with four kills for the match, while Whitney White had three, Megan Puckertt, Logan Redd and Gabrielle Spainhour two apiece and Taylor Barnes one.
Barnes led in effective serves with seven and effective passes with eight, Spainhour led her team with seven service points, two service aces and 21 good sets, and Chris Bradshaw and White led with seven attacks apiece.
The Comets held a 2-0 lead early in game one and fell behind by as many as six points before tying the game at 13-13.
Halifax was as close as two points late in the game before Person scored the final two points.
Person went on a 6-0 run to pull away from a 13-12 lead to 20-13 in winning game two, but Halifax forged a 13-10 lead in game three after a Redd service ace and kill by White.
The Comets led for the last time at 16-15 in game three before Person pulled away late for the win.
Bratton saw some promising trends despite the loss.
“I saw some good stuff with some players coming off the bench and doing really, really well, which is good for our program,” she commented.
“I think we’re doing a really good job of filling the holes when we lose seniors.”
• Service Aces: Spainhour 2; Barnes, Elliott, Redd, White 1
• Good Serves: Barnes 7; Spainhour 6; Bradshaw 5; Megan Puckett, White 4; Brittani Boxley, Elliott, Redd 1
• Service Points: Spainhour 7; Barnes 4; Puckett 3; Bradshaw, White 2; Elliott, Redd 1
• Kills: Elliott 4; White 3; Puckett, Redd, Spainhour 2; Barnes 1
• Attacks: Bradshaw, White 7; Elliott 5; Puckett, Redd, Spainhour 2; Barnes 1
• Good Passes: Barnes 8; Elliott 5; Bradshaw 4; Maddie Jackson, Puckett 2
• Good Sets: Spainhour 21; Bradshaw, Elliott 1