- Last Updated on 08:04 AM 05/01/13
- BY Doug Ford
The Halifax County High School boys tennis team saw its recent momentum take a step back with an 8-1 loss at Patrick Henry High School on Monday.
Jonathan Thomas and Michael Good won at number two doubles for the Comets’ only win of the match.
Nevertheless, Coach David Riddle said his team gave a solid effort against a perennially strong Patrick Henry team.
“We were hoping to carry the momentum from last week’s win against Franklin and the Heritage Invite Championship into today and get a win, but PH proved to be too strong,” said Riddle.
“We came out rather flat in singles and were never able to get any momentum going there.
“As a coach, I was pleased to see us play strong in doubles even though we had already lost the match.
“We were able to pick up a big win and the two spot and came close at three as well.
“Still, this was a lot stronger than we played PH last season, or in a good while for that matter.”
Halifax County saw its Western Valley District record fall to 4-3 with the loss.
The Comets are 9-4 overall.
Patrick Henry 8
Halifax County 1
1. Alec Travers def. Vatsal Lal (HC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Ford Carson def. Gannon Griffin (HC) 6-1, 6-1
3. W.P. Elder def. Jonathan Thomas (HC) 6-0, 6-2
4. William Cathey def. Michael Good (HC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Warner McGhee def. Forrest Nunn (HC) 6-3, 6-1
6. William Mason def. Andrew Hatcher (HC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Travers/Elder def. Lal/Griffin (HC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Thomas/Good (HC) def. Carson/Cathey 6-4, 0-6, (10-4)
3. McGhee/K.David def. Hatcher/Roger Smith 6-4, 4-6, (10-3)
W.Mason/Conner Burnett def. Brad Booth/Gabe Pool 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
D. Johnson/John Futrell def. Ezra Walker/Brian Good 6-2, 6-3