- Last Updated on 08:32 AM 03/13/13
- BY Joe Chandler
Numbers two through six singles came away with wins, and two of three doubles teams also won their matches as the Halifax County High School boys tennis team won its season-opener 7-2 at home Monday over Randolph-Henry High School.
Gannon Griffin, Michael Good, Jonathan Thomas, Roger Smith and Andrew Hatcher all won their singles matches, and Good/Smith and Forrest Nunn/Brad Booth won at numbers two and three doubles.
“This was a good way to start the season,” said Comets Coach David Riddle.
“Everyone played hard, even in the losses we had. Those were against really tough players and came down to the wire both times. It was also good to see us get through the first tiebreak of the regular season with a victory as well.
“That has been one of obstacles over the years so it was good to keep our composure.
“I was really pleased with the matches in the middle of the order. In all of those situations, we played strong and took advantage of opportunities in the matches. Those are the spots that are must-wins in high school tennis, so hopefully we can stay strong there.”
“It was good to get everyone a match today,” added Riddle.
“All of the experienced players got a varsity match in and had strong contributions. And, all of the new guys got exhibitions in and were able to get the first wins of their careers as well.
“Court time is important for the new and old ones out there, so that will help us as a team.”
Spots on the team will be highly contested this season, Riddle noted.
“This group is very tight as a team but competitive with one another as well. That will benefit us in the long run.”
1. Walker Dunavant (RH) d. Vatsal Lal (HC) 8-6
2. Gannon Griffin (HC) d. Jarrett Driskill (RH) 8-1
3. Michael Good (HC) d. Bryson Boettcher (RH) 8-1
4. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Matthew Williams (RH) 8-1
5. Roger Smith (HC) d. Forrest Andrews (RH) 8-1
6. Andrew Hatcher (HC) d. Blake Tharpe (RH) 9-8 (11-9)
1. Dunavant/Williams (RH) d. Lal/Griffin (HC) 8-6
2. Good/Smith (HC) d. Tharpe/Justin Lacks (RH) 8-2
3. Forrest Nunn/Brad Booth (HC) d. Andrews/Devon Davis (RH) 8-3
Terence Vass/Ezra Walker (HC) d. Tyler Dixon/Caleb Trent (RH) 8-4
Malik Plesant/Gabe Pool (HC) d. Nick Pollard/Nick Ketchum (RH) 8-5
Brian Good/Lewis Link (HC) d. Cody Collinger/Grayson Pettus (RH) 8-1