Friday, Aug 01st

Last updateFri, 01 Aug 2014 7am

You are here: Home Sports Prep sports Lions crush Patrick Henry 52-0

Lions crush Patrick Henry 52-0

After having lost a tough Southside Middle School Conference contest to Russell Middle School last week, the Halifax County Middle School Lions football team was looking for something good to happen in Wednesday’s game against Patrick Henry Middle School here at Tuck Dillard Stadium.

The good things came – in almost unimaginable numbers.

Scoring 18 unanswered points in the first one minute and 26 seconds, the Lions made easy work of Patrick Henry in a 52-0 win over the PH’ seventh-grade team.

Lions Head Coach Frank Shealy said there was an apparent miscommunication between the coaches and/or schools concerning which groups of players were to play each other, and admitted that his first-string unit easily had its way against PH.

“It (the mismatch) was apparent to us in the first minute and a half,” Shealy said.

“Still, I’ve never seen that before against anybody. That (18 points in the first minute and a half of the game) was pretty impressive and I told out first-stringers that was pretty impressive.

“Once we realized that was happening, we backed off,” added Shealy.

“We started subbing immediately. I left (quarterback) James Smith Jr. in for a few more plays to work the other guys he is throwing to and handing the ball off to. Even when we started subbing so early, our sixth-grade and seventh-grade guys played very well. We still scored and we still held them.”

The rout began immediately.

Starting from the PH 44-yard line on its first play from scrimmage, Smith broke loose to score a touchdown just 16 seconds into the game. That score was nullified as the result of a penalty. 

On the next play, Smith threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to Troy Hubbard and then ran in a two-point conversion to put the Lions up 8-0 with 7:29 left in the first quarter.

The Lions’ defense added a safety on Patrick Henry’s first possession and Ramon Coleman returned the ensuing PH kick for a touchdown with 6:34 left in the first quarter. Jamal Brandon ran for a two-point conversion to put the Lions up 18-0.

At that point, it was game over.

Smith scored a touchdown on an 85-yard run on the Lions’ next possession to make it a 24-0 score with 6:20 left in the second quarter. Later, after the Lions recovered a PH fumble, Brandon scored on a 7-yard run with 2:05 left in the first half to give the Lions a 3-0 led they held at halftime.

Three more touchdowns in the second half extended the Lions’ lead. 

Brandon scored again and the Lions added a two-point conversion on a pass from Jeffrey Cates to make it a 38-0 lead. Xavier Aguilar scored a touchdown to give the Lions a 44-0 lead at the end of the third quarter.

Sammy Stevenson ran for the Lions’ last touchdown of the game with just under three minutes remaining in the contest and the Lions added a two-point conversion on a pass from Aguilar to Shy Jacobs to make the 52-0 final score.

“It was a good day,” Shealy noted.

“Everybody got to play. We had good execution. I was pleased to see these guys play hard throughout the game.”