- Last Updated on 07:44 AM 04/30/12
- BY Doug Ford
The Halifax County High School boys tennis team was on its way to a win at the annual Heritage Invitational, but rain suspended play on Saturday with the Comets leading the field.
Halifax County had compiled eight points, while host Heritage High School and Staunton River High School each had five points and Randolph-Henry four points in the two-day tournament.
The rain came at an inopportune time for his team, according to Comets Head Coach David Riddle.
“We were looking really good at having a chance at wrapping up first place overall before the rains came on Saturday,” Riddle noted.
“We played really well as a team on Friday, which put us in a good spot when play started on Saturday. Each player on the team was playing in at least one championship match, which is something that we have not been able to say the past two years.”
Riddle said he was especially proud of the match that Vatsal Lal and Gannon Griffin put together on Saturday in the championship.
“They were down 5-2 at one point and came back to win their flight, and we had several other matches on Friday night that were similar,” noted Riddle.
“It’s unfortunate that we were unable to finish,” he added. “The team put a lot of effort into this. Hopefully a raindate can be set to finish, but it may be difficult due to the end of the season activities coming about for all of the teams. “Regardless, this was a great opportunity for the team and should prepare us well for the end of the season tournaments.”
1. Vatsal Lal/Gannon Griffin (HC) def. Walker Dunnavant/Graham Pugh (RH) 8-3, def. Harrison Smith/Andy Locascio (H) 9-8 (7-4) (1st place)
2. Michael Good/Roger Smith (HC) def. Kody Weeks/Logan St. John (SR) 8-6, lost to Matthew Chiang/Avery Redd (Heritage) 8-4 (2nd place)
3. Jonathan Thomas/Andrew Hatcher (HC) def. Ye Chan/Patrick Hehir (H) 8-1, lost to Xin Lin/Matt Williams (RH) 8-6 (2nd place)
1. Vatsal Lal (HC) def. Walker Dunnavant (RH) 10-7 (did not start finals due to rain)
2. Gannon Griffin (HC) lost to Matthew Chiang (H) 10-2, did not finish finals (tied 4-4 with Mason Collins (SR)
3. Michael Good (HC) lost to Alan Berkley (RH) 10-2, lost to Travis Songer (SR) 10-4 (4th place)
4. Roger Smith (HC) def. Logan St. John (SR) 10-7, (did not start finals)
5. Jonathan Thomas (HC) def. Ye Chan (H) 10-0, was up on Matt Williams (RH) 1-0 (DNF)
6. Andrew Hatcher (HC) lost to John Bradshaw (SR) 11-10 (7-1), def Alex Chapman (H) 10-3 (3rd Place)