- Last Updated on 08:22 AM 03/26/14
- BY Doug Ford
The Halifax County High School boys tennis team recorded its second shutout in as many contests with a 9-0 home win against Martinsville High School on Monday.
Jonathan Thomas, Roger Smith, Andrew Hatcher, Terrence Vass, Malik Pleasant and Brian Good at numbers one through six singles all recorded straight set wins.
Halifax County doubles tandems including Thomas and Smith, Brad Booth and Lewis Link, and Donyea Williams and Joseph Coleman all won in straight sets, as the Comets improved to 2-0 in the Piedmont District.
Comets Head Coach David Riddle remarked the team looked as good against the Bulldogs as it has all year, counting practices.
“This was the most solid we have looked all year, whether it be practice or matches,” said Riddle.
“I think we were able to gain some confidence Friday with pulling out all four tie-breaks, and it carried over into today.”
“There was no letdown from beginning to end in any of the matches,” he added.
“Today we looked a lot better in the second sets of our matches than we did in the previous match.
“Another positive is we were able to get different people into matches today.
“Donyea and Joseph were in their first-ever ladder match for us and looked very comfortable out there.
“It’s always good to get the guys on the court in situations that matter, especially early in the year.”
1. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Carson Rigney 6-2, 6-0
2. Roger Smith (HC) d. Tyler Hairston 6-1, 6-2
3. Andrew Hatcher (HC) d. Joe Mitchell 6-1, 6-0
4. Terrence Vass (HC) d. Cody Turner 6-0, 6-0
5. Malik Pleasant (HC) d. Jacob Salas 6-0, 6-1
6. Brian Good (HC) d. Ahmad Manns 6-0, 6-0
1. Thomas/Smith (HC) d. Rigney/Hairston 6-1, 6-1
2. Brad Booth/Lewis Link (HC) d. Mitchell/Turner 6-3, 6-2
3. Donyea Williams/Joseph Coleman d. Salas/Manns 6-1, 6-4