- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Doug Ford
After two tough losses to open the Western Valley District season, the Comets varsity volleyball team got back on track Tuesday at Comets Gym with a 3-1 win against a good William Fleming team.
Halifax won game one 25-13 but Fleming rallied to win a close game two 25-21 before the Comets closed things out with 25-17 and 25-18 wins in games three and four.
Kate Bane led the Comets with 11 service points and six service aces, while passing effectively (17 good passes).
Jessie Bagbey led her team with 18 good passes, while Jameshia Smith and Johanna Spencer each finished with seven kills to lead the Comets.
Bagbey added 56 effective sets and Nia Brown two blocks, both team leaders in those categories.
It was nice to get the first district win, Comets coach Steve Mattox commented.
“I was a little apprehensive leading up to game time, because I made some lineup changes leading up to practice on Monday.
“Jessie switched back to Libero, and Jill is now our primary setter,” Mattox said.
“The switch was not due to game performance because we played good ball at Patrick Henry.
“Our attackers were on and our back row communicated well and moved well. The service game was awesome with only 9 service errors, and Jill did a great job setting even after taking a hard shot to floor during game one.”
• Service Aces: Bane six; McCargo, Bagbey, Trickey three; O’Neil, Jameshia Smith, Spencer two; Thompson, Trickey one
• Service Points: Bane 11; Spencer seven; Jameshia Smith four; Trickey, McCargo, O’Neil three; Thompson, Bagbey two
• Good Passes: Bagbey 18, Bane 17; Jameshia Smith 10; Thompson, O’Neil, Spencer eight; Megan Day five; Jamilia Smith four; Trickey Nia Brown one
• Good Sets: Bagbey 56
• Kills: Jameshia Smith, Jamilia Smith, Spencer seven; Trickey, Melyse Brown, Nia Brown three; McCargo two
• Blocks: Nia Brown two; Jameshia Smith one
• Floor Balls: Seven
• Serving Percentage: 86 percent
• Passing Percentage: 79 percent
• Setting Percentage: 95 percent