- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Doug Ford
Solid play in both singles and doubles led the Halifax County High School boy’s tennis team to a Western Valley District win here Monday over GW.
Gannon Griffin won at number two singles, Michael Good won at number three singles, Roger Smith at number four singles and Jonathan Thomas at number five singles for the Comets, who swept all three doubles matches.
Vatsal Lal and Griffin won at number one doubles, Good and Smith at number two doubles and Forrest Nunn and Brad Booth won at number three doubles for Halifax County, which improved to 3-1 in the district and 7-2 overall.
The Comets were idle for 10 days prior to the GW match because of spring break, and Head Coach David Riddle was concerned his team may have been sluggish upon its return.
That was not the case, he noted.
“We played well across the board,” said Riddle. “Of course, as a coach you want to win all the matches, but we were right there in both of our losses as well. And to not lose a single game in three matches and only one in three others is something that we are very proud of.”
The Comets’ four singles wins came in straight sets as did all three doubles wins, with the doubles sweep an especially encouraging sign, Riddle pointed out.
“Another positive was the way we played in doubles,” Riddle explained. “That has been one of our struggles in the past, and to win all three of those matches was good for us as a team.”
“Our combinations seem to be working and communicating well,” added Riddle.
“Last time we were out, we suffered a loss to Franklin County, and the team was a little down on themselves after that, so it was good to rebound this way.”
Halifax County 7 GW 2
1. Patrick Hudgins (GW) def. Vatsal Lal (HC) 3-6, 7-5, (11-9)
2. Gannon Griffin (HC) def. Jay Kennedy (GW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Michael Good (HC) def. J.R. Roberts (GW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Roger Smith (HC) def. Ahmed Foued (GW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jonathan Thomas (HC) def. Josh Jones (GW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Gray Hughes (GW) def. Andrew Hatcher (HC) 6-3, 7-5
1. Lal/Griffin (HC) def. Hudgins/Kennedy (GW) 6-0, 6-1
2. Good/Smith (HC) def. Hughes/Roberts (GW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Forrest Nunn/Brad Booth (HC) def. Jones/Marcus McCoy (GW) 6-2, 6-4