- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Doug Ford
It was a tennis version of a sweep, as the Halifax County High School boy’s tennis team defeated William Fleming 9-0 Monday in Roanoke.
Each member of the team won their singles and doubles matches, and Halifax County (5-1. 2-0 WVD) swept all three exhibitions.
“I can’t say enough about the overall effort out there today,” remarked Comets Head Coach David Riddle.
“We made very few errors today, made the other team work, did a great job of placing our shots and really clicked in doubles as well.
“The teams have gotten adjusted to one another and are communicating well. We played with a lot of confidence today and hopefully that trend will continue as we move forward.”
Riddle commended the youthful Fleming team on its effort.
“I would also like to commend the Fleming team,” added Riddle.
“They have been without a team for the past few years, and you hate to see any school have a void in a sports program. “It’s good to see them back. They have a dedicated coaching staff and a young group of guys which will certainly help them progress.”
Halifax County 9 William Fleming 0
1. Vatsal Lal (HC) d. Javonte McNear (WF) 6-0, 6-0
2. Gannon Griffin (HC) d. Oscar Otanez (WF) 6-1, 6-0
3. Michael Good (HC) d. William Strickland (WF) 6-0, 6-0
4. Roger Smith (HC) d. Garrison Gravely (WF) 6-0, 6-1
5. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Danny Barnett (WF) 6-1, 6-0
6. Andrew Hatcher (HC) d. Edward Stankey (WF) 6-1, 6-1
1. Lal/Griffin (HC) d. McNear/Strickland (WF) 6-0, 6-0
2. Good/Smith (HC) d. Otanez/Gravely (WF) 6-0, 6-0
3. Thomas/Hatcher (HC) d. Barnett/Stankey (WF) 6-0, 6-1
Brad Booth (HC) d. Nick Hines (WF) 8-1
Sam Gregory (HC) d. Cesco Paradiso (WF) 8-5
Christian Roach (HC) d. Nick Hines (WF) 6-1