- Last Updated on 08:36 AM 04/25/12
- BY Joe Chandler
The Halifax County High School girls tennis team completed a regular-season sweep of William Fleming High School Friday with a 9-0 win over the Colonels in Roanoke.
Halifax County High School dominated the match, sweeping all nine contests without losing a set.
Comets Head Coach Greg Donner praised his team’s effort.
“We were very steady at all spots, and no matches were in doubt all day,” Donner said.
“It sets up a very important match on Friday.”
With the win and the sweep of William Fleming High School, the Comets are now assured of berth in the Western Valley District Tournament. Now, the Comets are battling for the third seed in the Western Valley District Tournament, and will face GW here Friday.
GW won the first meeting between the two teams, taking a very close 5-4 win in Danville on April 16.
The Comets will have another match before that contest, facing Franklin County High School today at 4:30 p.m. in Rocky Mount.
In singles action in Friday’s match against William Fleming High School, Monica Puckett, playing the number one singles contest, got things rolling with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Yenifer Portelles. Puckett also anchored the number two doubles team with Shania DeJarnette.
DeJarnette, Dria Brandon, Baylee Snead, Lexi Reaves, and Shaquoria Pannell also posted wins in singles action.
The Comets won all three of the doubles matches, with several Comets players seeing their first action of the year.
Shanique Osbourne and Jamie Crews moved up to play at number two doubles spot, and Katie Owens and Krischelle Edwards filled in at number three.
Halifax County 9
William Fleming 0
1. Monica Puckett (HC) defeated Yenifer Portelles (WF) 6-1, 6-1
2. Shania DeJarnette (HC) defeated Jena Mundy (WF) 6-0, 6-1
3. Dria Brandon (HC) defeated Capri Gray (WF) 6-0, 6-1
4. Baylee Snead (HC) defeated Jessica Mundy (WF) 6-2, 6-1
5 Lexi Reaves (HC) defeated Kiana Bell (WF) 6-0, 6-0
6. Shaqoria Pannell (HC) defeated Isabelle Furman (WF) 6-1, 6-1
1. Puckett/DeJarnette (HC) defeated Portelles/Mundy (WF) 6-0, (default, injury)
2. Shanique Osbourne/Jamie Crews (HC) defeated Gray/Mundy (WF) 6-0, 6-1
3. Katie Owens/Krischelle Edwards (HC) defeated Bell Furman (WF) 6-1, 6-1