- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Joe Chandler
Halifax County High School golfer Cody Spencer said last week he wanted to finish in the top 15 in the state Group AAA golf tournament. He got a good start toward that goal in Monday’s opening round of the two-day tournament at the par-71 Laurel Hill Golf Course in Lorton.
Spencer carded a four-over-par round of 75 Monday, a round good enough to put him in a three-way tie for second place entering the start of yesterday’s final round.
Spencer’s teammate, Dillon Puryear, was said to have carded a first-round score in the mid-80’s.
Two Richmond-area golfers, Griffin Clark of Thomas Dale High School and Mark Lawrence Jr. of Mills Godwin High School, shared the first round lead with identical one-under-par rounds of 70.
Three golfers that included Spencer, Walter Smith of Green Run High School and John Dozier of Mills Godwin High School were tied for second place, five shots behind the two lead golfers from Richmond.
Battlefield High School, the Northwest Region champion and Cedar Run District champion, posted a round of 308 on the opening day of the tournament, and was in fourth place among the eight teams that were competing for the state team championship.
Langley High School held the team lead heading into yesterday’s final round of play with an opening-day round of 298.
First Day Leaders
1. Griffin Clark, Thomas Dale 70
2. Mark Lawrence Jr., Mills Godwin 70
3. Walter Smith, Green Run 75
4. John Dozier, Mills Godwin 75
5. Cody Spencer, Halifax County 75
6. Keon Ho Song, Centreville 76
7. Travis Johnson, Nansemond River 77
8. Julie Luo, Thomas Jefferson High School of Science and Technology 77
9. Matt Ashley, Stone Bridge 78
10. Adam Szwed, Woodbridge 79
11. Terry Smith, Patriot 79
1. Langley 298, 2. James River 303, 3. Chantilly 306, 4. Battlefield 308, 5. Deep Run 309, 6. Kellam 311, 7. First Colonial 324, Mountain View 324.