- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Joe Chandler
The Halifax County High School golf team turned in its best score of the season in Monday’s final regular-season Western Valley District golf tournament, but it wasn’t enough to win either the tournament or the regular-season title.
Halifax County High School, led by Cody Spencer and his three-over-par round of 74, turned in a team total of 309 in Monday’s tournament at the par 71 Blue Hills Golf Club in Roanoke. But, Franklin County High School came in with a round of 308 to edge the Comets by one shot and secure the regular-season Western Valley District title.
The Comets finished second in the district, 10 shots down to Franklin County High School, which won its third regular-season district title in a row. Franklin County High School has won the regular-season district title seven of the last eight years.
Patrick Henry High School’s Elijah Tackett holds the top spot in the district’s individual standings with an average score of 72.5 for the five district matches.
Spencer had a good day for the Comets and earned medalist honors in the tournament with his round of 74, which beat Tackett by one shot. Other scores that counted toward the Comets’ team total included Peter Gasperini’s round of 76, Josh Irby’s round of 78 and Dillon Puryear’s round of 81.
Also competing for the Comets in Monday’s tournament were Tyler Holt and Ryan Green. Both Holt and Green turned in a round of 86.
While the Comets failed to win the regular-season championship, they can still make it into the Northwest region Tournament as a team with a win or possible second-place finish in the Western Valley District Championship Tournament. That tournament will be played Monday at 10 a.m. at West Lake Country Club in Rocky Mount.
The Northwest Region Tournament will be played Tuesday, October 4,with that tournament also to be played at West Lake Country Club.
Western Valley District Round 5 – Blue Hills Golf Course – Par 71
• Franklin County High School – 308 - Kolton Cooper 76, Jeremy Lester 77, Landon Prillaman 77, Greg Holley 84, Josh Harkema 78, Casey Fenner 82.
• Halifax County High School – 309 – Cody Spencer 74, Peter Gasperini 76, Josh Irby 78, Dillon Puryear 81, Tyler Holt 86, Ryan Green 86.
• Patrick Henry High School – 310 – Elijah Tackett 75, Hill Donihe 80, Joe Jarvis 79, Blake Brown 76, James Frankel 84, Corey Haythe 93.
• George Washington High School – Danville – 355 – Lyndsey Harris 85, Sarafina Sampson 87, Andrew Adams 94, Gray Hughes 89, Amar Pittman 116, Connor Wood 100.
Final Regular-Season Standings
• Franklin County High School – 1,557
• Halifax County High School – 1,567
• Patrick Henry High School – 1,586
• GW Danville – 1,874
• William Fleming High School – No Score