- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Staff
Solid serving, passing and setting again proved the difference, as the Comets’ varsity volleyball team won its second match of the season Thursday at Gretna. Halifax County won by 25-21, 25-12 and 25-21 scores, a win by any measure, but one in which his team again started slowly, according to coach Steve Mattox.
“It took quite a while for them to get going, but I do believe they had the confidence in game one they could get it done.
“I didn’t call a single timeout, so I was confident they would take game one, but it was still a long game when it’s that tight.
“We cannot do that against Person, Patrick Henry or Franklin County, we have to come out and set that tempo in game one.”
Setting was 98 percent effective against Gretna, serving was 83 percent effective and passing was 80 percent effective.
But, the Comets did not put away as many shots at the net as Mattox would have liked, finishing with a kill percentage of 53 percent, he noted.
“Again, I like my hitters to go after the ball a little bit harder and work on placement. We missed some holes last night that were open.
“For the most part, they had one blocker, and there’s no excuse not to put the ball away.”
It’s still early in the season, and the Comets will continue to work on improving that aspect of their game, the veteran coach added.
Everything needs to be clicking in the Comets’ next outing, a Tuesday home match against Person High School, Mattox said.
“Hopefully, we’ll have a good practice today and a good practice Monday to get ready for Person.
“That’s going to be the real deal, and they know it. “They’ve known it since day one, and they look forward to playing Person.
“It’s a good measure of where we’re at, and it’s probably the best (team) we’ve played so far.”
• Service Aces: Jordan Miller nine; Kelsy Williams six; Kate Bane, Chris Bradshaw one
• Good Serves: Williams 19; Miller 18; Kate Bane seven; Bradshaw five; Autumn McFadden four; Kendall Lloyd three; Meg Bane two; Miyana Ross, Gabrielle Spainhour one
• Service Points: Williams 15; Miller 14; Bane, Bradshaw four; Meg Bane, McFadden two; Lloyd one
• Kills: Lloyd six; Lindsey Wilkins, Williams three; Meg Meg Bane two; Spainhour one
• Attacks: Miller 14; Lloyd 12; Williams seven; Wilkins six; Spainhour four; Meg Bane, McFadden one
• Good Passes: Williams 18; Lloyd 14; Miller 11; McFadden six; Kate Bane four; Ross three; Bradshaw, Meg Bane, Megan Puckett two; Spainhour one
• Good Sets: Kate Bane 26; Meg Bane 19; Lloyd, Williams two; Wilkins, Miller one
• Blocks: Lloyd one