- Last Updated on 12:22 PM 04/23/12
- BY Doug Ford
Ralph Tuck won another match at number one singles and Jonathan Strader joined him in the win column at number two singles, but Patrick Henry won every other match to beat the Comets 7-2 Monday in Roanoke.
Comets coach David Riddle said his team played better against Patrick Henry than the first time the teams met this season. Tuck played a more consistent match against his opponent than their earlier meeting and Strader played his best match of the year in singles, he added.
“Jonathon fell behind 3-0 at the beginning of the first set, but he played smarter as the match progressed and finished strong,” noted Riddle.
“I can’t remember the last time we won at the one and two singles spots against Patrick Henry, so that was certainly a positive today.”
“We have a lot of tennis this week with Franklin County at home on Wednesday and the Heritage Tourney this weekend,” continued Riddle.
“We always use that as a measuring stick for how far we have progressed in the season, so hopefully we will have solid team as well as individual results there.”
Halifax is 0-4 in the Western Valley District and 2-5 overall.
PH 7 HC 2
1. Ralph Tuck (HC) def. Andrew Bazack (PH) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jonathon Strader (HC) def. Pearce Holt (PH) 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
3. Matt Catron (PH) def. Tayler Tepper (HC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Joe Jarvis (PH) def. Taylor Elliott (HC) 6-0, 6-0
5. David Joppich (PH) def. Michael Good (HC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Tom Dreher (PH) def. Gannon Griffin (HC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Bazack/Holt (PH) def. Tuck/Elliott (HC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Catron/Jarvis (PH) def. Strader/Tepper (HC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Joppich/Dreher (PH) def. Good/Griffin (HC) 6-0, 6-2
Yale Waller (PH) def. Michael Jackson (HC) 8-5
Colin Waller (PH) def. Allen Scott (HC) 8-3
Matt Hannah/Jessie Felberg (PH) def. Jackson/Scott (HC) 8-1