YourGV.com

Saturday, Apr 19th

Last updateFri, 18 Apr 2014 7am

You are here: Home Obituaries William Winfield Shiers

William Winfield Shiers

William Winfield Shiers of 501 V.E.S. Road, a retired Lynchburg marketing executive, died Monday, Jan. 21, 2013.

Mr. Shiers was a son of the late Rev. Winfield Shiers and the late Lucretia Tobin Shiers, formerly of South Boston. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on April 9, 1930.

He attended Episcopal High School in Alexandria and was a 1951 journalism graduate of Washington and Lee University. He served as both an enlisted man and officer in the U. S. Air Force during the Korean conflict of the 1950s.

He held a variety of public relations, marketing and management posts in N. Y., Arizona and Virginia during a lengthy business career, including service with Allied Chemical Corporation, Sperry Gyroscope Company, Sperry Flight Systems, Imperial Coal Sales Company and Rock Creek Colliery Company.

Mr. Shiers was a former vestryman and senior warden of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Lynchburg and had been active in the affairs of the Diocese of Southwestern Virginia. He also had served in a variety of civic activities, including membership on the boards of Central Virginia Alzheimer’s Association, Westminster-Canterbury Lynchburg, American Red Cross and James River Day School. He had been a member of the Lynchburg Kiwanis Club.

He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Turner Shiers; one daughter, Elizabeth S. Nolan, of Nashville, Tenn.; one son, Winfield Turner Shiers, also of Nashville; a brother, Oliver Matson Shiers, of Charleston, S.C.; two grandsons, William John Nolan and Matson Mack Shiers of Nashville; a granddaughter, Elizabeth Ruth Nolan, of Nashville.

In lieu of flowers consider making contributions to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 605 Clay Street, Lynchburg, VA 24504 or Westminster Canterbury, Fellowship Fund, 501 V.E.S. Road, Lynchburg, VA 24503.

A funeral service will be held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013, with inurnment in the St. Paul’s columbarium.