Thursday, Jul 24th

Last updateFri, 25 Jul 2014 7am

You are here: Home News Local News Fire displaces family of six

Fire displaces family of six

A house fire in the 8000 block of L. P. Bailey Memorial Highway displaced a family of six shortly after noon Saturday.

No one was at home at the residence of Derby McGeorge at 12:18 p.m. when firefighters responded to an electrical fire that is believed to have started in the living room of the doublewide mobile home.

McGeorge’s aunt who lives nearby reported the fire to E911 dispatch, according to Liberty Volunteer Fire Chief Andy Hughes.

Within one minute of the call, 12 Liberty firefighters were enroute to the fire arriving on the scene at 12:23 p.m. to find flames bursting from the front bay windows of the living room.

Assisting Liberty VFD firefighters were 15 firefighters from North Halifax Volunteer Fire Department and eight firefighters from Halifax Volunteer Fire Department. Oak Level firefighters were enroute to the fire when they were disregarded, Hughes said.

The origin of the fire, believed to be electrical in nature, was an electric heater that had been plugged into a power strip that was lying on a sofa.

“The heater cord got hot and melted the cord that was laying on the sofa and caught the sofa on fire,” Hughes said.

Firefighters contained the fire using less than 500 gallons of water and remained on the scene until 1:47 p.m., the chief said.

Although the fire was contained to the living room, other areas of the house suffered extensive smoke and heat damage.

Hughes estimated damage to the doublewide at $40,000.

No one was hurt in the blaze.

The American Red Cross is assisting the McGeorge family with immediate needs and lodging, said Ginger Weaver of the Red Cross.

Earlier Saturday morning, Liberty VFD firefighters responded to a brush and woods fire at the residence of Alice Canada located at 2014 Acorn Road in Nathalie.

According to Hughes, the fire started from ashes that had been poured out on the ground Friday night that the wind rekindled Saturday shortly after 7 a.m.

A passerby saw the fire in the brush and woods in the yard of the Canada residence and reported it to E-911, Hughes said. 

Firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control after it burned approximately a quarter of an acre.