Wednesday, Jul 23rd

Last updateMon, 21 Jul 2014 8am

You are here: Home News Local News Family loses home in Wednesday morning blaze

Family loses home in Wednesday morning blaze

An early Wednesday morning blaze left a family of five homeless, but no one was injured.

Mike and Sheila Snead and their three children, a 2-year-old boy, a 4-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl lived in the mobile home that went up in flames shortly after 7 a.m.

Firefighters from Turbeville, Cluster Springs and Ceffo volunteer fire departments were called to a structure fire at 2198 Wilkins Road in Turbeville at around 7:10 a.m. 

Mike Snead was not at home at the time of the fire, but his wife and daughter were in the trailer when the daughter and son thought she smelled smoke and discovered the wall and ceiling ablaze.

The 15-year-old and her 2-year-old brother and their mother were able to get out of the house without suffering any injuries, according to Chris Hudson of Cluster Springs Fire Department.

The third sibling was not at home when the fire broke out.  

Turbeville Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call with 15 members and four trucks. Cluster Springs Fire Department assisted with eight members and three trucks and Ceffo, N.C. trucks assisted with one member and one truck. 

The firemen used roughly 18,000 gallons of water to extinguish the flames in the two singlewide mobile homes that were joined together.

The cause of the fire is “probably going to be electrical,” said Hudson.

Ginger Weaver of the American Red Cross is assisting the family who is currently staying in a local hotel, Weaver said.

 

Anyone wishing to help by donating to the family may call her office at 476-5148 for more information about the family’s needs.