YourGV.com

Wednesday, Jul 30th

Last updateWed, 30 Jul 2014 8am

You are here: Home News Local News Antique car, tractor burn

Antique car, tractor burn

No one was hurt in a Saturday morning garage fire on Wilson Road in Virgilina that resulted in $41,000 in damages, according to Cluster Springs Volunteer Fire Chief Mike Harris.

When firefighters arrived at 4071 Wilson Road around 11:30 a.m., the garage owned by Harold Young was fully involved in flames, Harris said.

Eight Cluster Springs volunteer firefighters responded with three trucks and were assisted by Virgilina Volunteer Fire Department with nine firefighters and two trucks, Woodsdale Volunteer Fire Department with nine firefighters and two trucks and Midway Fire Department with five firefighters and one truck.  

Deputy Emergency Service Coordinator Chad Loftis also responded along with Halifax County sheriff’s deputies.

Firefighters worked until 1 p.m. extinguishing the blaze using 5,000 gallons of water.

According to Harris, the fire is believed to have started from a wood stove in the garage. 

 He estimated the value of the garage structure at $21,000 and the value of its contents at $20,000.  The fire destroyed an antique car and an antique tractor.