Thursday, Jul 24th

Last updateFri, 25 Jul 2014 7am

You are here: Home News Local News Firefighters hurt, house destroyed in Sunday morning blaze

Firefighters hurt, house destroyed in Sunday morning blaze

Two firefighters were hurt battling a two-story house fire that occurred shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday on Ridgeway Road in Vernon Hill.

According to Oak Level Volunteer Fire Department Chief Dean Waltman, the fire destroyed the home of Beth and B. J. Marean who were asleep in bed when they were alerted to the blaze by fire detectors going off.

“They ran to the neighbor’s house to call for help,” the fire chief said.

“When firefighters arrived on the scene fire was coming out of the eaves, and heavy smoke and fire was showing from all around the house,” Waltman said, of the blaze believed to have started in the wood stove.

“We went in and made a knock down and were able to save a few pieces of their clothes before the heat and smoke got to be too much. They lost everything,” he added.

Eight Oak Level volunteer firefighters responded on three trucks and were assisted by eight Liberty volunteer firefighters on three trucks. Also assisting were eight Halifax volunteer firefighters who responded with two trucks.

Firefighters used over 10,000 gallons of water to bring the blaze under control, Waltman said.

One firefighter was cut while battling the blaze and was transported to the hospital for treatment. North Halifax EMTs treated a second injured firefighter at the scene for burns to his hand, the chief said. 

The house, valued at $75,000, was declared a total loss.