Friday, Jul 25th

Last updateFri, 25 Jul 2014 7am

You are here: Home News Local News Three fires keep emergency crews busy in county

Three fires keep emergency crews busy in county


Area volunteer firefighters have been busy over the past week extinguishing house fires that left two families homeless and another cleaning up after a blaze.


A civilian passing by the home of James Waller on Buffalo Road in Nathalie saw flames coming from the house Wednesday morning and called 911.

According to North Halifax Volunteer Fire Chief Ronnie Waller, firefighters from North Halifax responded to the 9 a.m. fire and were assisted by volunteers from Liberty, Brookneal and Renan Volunteer Fire Departments.

Liberty arrived with two fire trucks and seven firemen. Brookneal responded with three trucks and 15 firemen, and Renan assisted with two fire trucks and three firemen.

According to Waller, the owner said he had left the residence around 8 a.m. 

The fire chief reported “extensive damage” to the home, but the cause has yet to be determined.  

The fire was contained a little after noon. However, North
Halifax firefighters were called back to the home at 2:29 p.m. after the fire rekindled, Waller said.

Another fire that occurred early Sunday morning left a mother and her children homeless, but no one was injured when the two-story woodframe house went up in flames.

According to Turbeville Volunteer Fire Chief David Barksdale, a kitchen fire is being blamed for causing $50,000 damage to the Cedar Grove Road home belonging to Edith Adams.

The fire, which was reported at 4:51 a.m., remains under investigation, the chief said.

“When we arrived on the scene, heavy flames were showing out of the kitchen window and going up the side of the house to the roof,” Barksdale said.

Firefighters were unable to save a dog who died in the fire, but they were able to rescue two pet cats from the burning house.

“The lady renting the house was at home at the time of the fire, and she woke up when she smelled smoke,” Barksdale said.

The children were not at home.

According to the chief, the fire broke out in the kitchen and was under the stairwell. Since everyone sleeps upstairs, the burning stairs would have prevented their escape by the stairwell.

Turbeville responded with nine firefighters and three trucks and was assisted by eight firefighters from Cluster Springs Volunteer Fire Department, two firefighters and a tanker from Midway Volunteer Fire Department, one South Boston firefighter and one Scottsburg Volunteer Fire Department firefighter.

Firefighters used 2,000 gallons of water and remained on the scene for three hours battling the blaze before bringing it under control, Barksdale said.

A third fire this week only resulted in minor damage to a basement at a Murphy Grove Road home belonging to Geraldine Loftis.

According to Halifax Volunteer Firefighter Ricky Hamlet, 10 Halifax Volunteer Fire Department firefighters responded with four trucks to the 11 a.m. Wednesday morning blaze that was confined to a crawl space in the basement.

They were assisted by five South Boston firefighters who brought one truck and six Liberty Volunteer Fire Department firefighters who came to the fire with two trucks.


The cause of the fire is under investigation, and damage was kept to a minimum, estimated at around $100.