- Last Updated on 07:51 AM 06/26/13
- BY Tiffany Hudson
New high school and middle school assistant principals were named Monday night when Halifax County School Board members emerged from a special called meeting closed session held in the school board conference room at the Mary Bethune office complex in Halifax.
Trustees unanimously approved the personnel report that included appointments of two Halifax County High School assistant principals and two Halifax County Middle School assistant principals.
Martha Chandler will fill one of the high school assistant principalships earning an annual salary of $59,005, while Dawn Miller was assigned to the other high school assistant principal post with an annual salary of $48,006.
The pair was among four employees who helped fill the vacancy created when former Assistant Principal Sherman LaPrade recently had knee replacement surgery.
Halifax County Middle School also welcomes two new assistant principals — Latonia Hutcherson earning an annual salary of $53,742 and Magie Wilkerson with an annual salary of $48,712.
Other appointments made Monday evening include:
• Cluster Springs Elementary School teacher Devin Dillow hired at an annual salary of $36,976;
• South Boston Elementary School teacher Katye Nelson hired at an annual salary of $36,976;
• South Boston Elementary School teacher Melinda Hupp hired at an annual salary of $36,976;
• South Boston Elementary School teacher Sarah Hughes hired at an annual salary of $36,976;
• Stephanie Scott hired as elementary instructional secretary at the central office for an annual salary of $28,391;
• Sherry Tucker hired as cafeteria manager at Meadville Elementary School.
Board members also approved the salary of $57,439 for Stephanie Watts who recently was named associate principal at Cluster Springs Elementary School.
Also approved were transfers for South Boston Elementary teacher Erica Grubbs to Sinai Elementary, Halifax County High School teacher Dearrion Snead to Halifax County Middle School and Sinai Elementary teacher Elizabeth Fowlkes to Meadville Elementary.
Halifax County High School Virginia and U.S. History teacher William Lucas resigned effective June 5, and central office switchboard operator Joyce Hill was approved for a requested contract change to a 10-month contract to work 215 days.
In other action Monday evening, board members unanimously approved moving one preK class from Sinai Elementary School to South Boston/Halifax Early Learning Center.