Tuesday, Jul 22nd

Last updateMon, 21 Jul 2014 8am

You are here: Home News Local News Man who died in police custody identified

Man who died in police custody identified

The body of 46-year-old Linwood R. Lambert Jr. of Richmond, the man who died in police custody Saturday morning, was sent to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond for examination and autopsy on Monday, and police are awaiting the toxicology reports to see if any drugs were in the man’s system, according to South Boston Police Capt. B. K. Lovelace.

According to a news release from Virginia State Police Public Relations Manager Corrine Geller, Lambert died after being taken into police custody for being disorderly and causing property damage at the Super 8 Motel in Riverdale. 

Officers initially transported the man to Halifax Regional Hospital for an evaluation. Once they arrived at the hospital, Lambert became combative with the officers, authorities said.

He was then transported to the Blue Ridge Regional Jail where it was discovered he was suffering from a medical emergency.

 Rescue Squad personnel transported Lambert to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Lovelace said because Lambert suffered a medical emergency, he never was formally charged.  

According to Lovelace, the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s Appomattox Field Office is continuing its investigation into the circumstances surrounding Saturday’s death of the Richmond man, and one of Lambert’s family members has been notified of his death.

At the request of the South Boston Police Department, State Police is investigating the incident, and Third Division Special Agent John Rieger confirmed Tuesday he is the investigating agent for the case.

Lovelace declined to release the name of the South Boston Police officers involved in the incident on Saturday; however, he did confirm the officers had been placed on administrative leave. 

When asked if authorities had used a Taser to subdue Lambert after he became combative, Lovelace replied, “Right now we’re not releasing that information because we’ve turned it over to the state, so you’re going to have to call them to get answers to those questions.”

State Police also declined to comment on whether a Taser was used and did not release the names of officers involved. 

Once state police have completed their investigation, the case will be turned over to the commonwealth’s attorney for final review and adjudication, according to the news release.