- Last Updated on 04:48 PM 04/19/12
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
A 36-year-old Alton man, Gary Jermaine Yancey, was sentenced Thursday in Halifax County Circuit Court to a two-year suspended prison term for grand larceny from R. O. Harrell III.
The court ordered Yancey’s suspended sentence be conditioned on his good behavior for two years and ordered him placed on probation for two years.
The court additionally ordered Yancey to pay $2,423.32 restitution within 12 months.
Other court cases
• Vincent Orlando White, 23, of Chase City was convicted Thursday of non-violent possession of a firearm as a convicted felon and possession of marijuana.
The court sentenced White to five years in prison, with all but two years suspended for the firearm charge, and it sentenced him to a 30-day suspended jail term for the drug charge, with the suspended portion of White’s sentenced conditioned on his good behavior for five years.
The court ordered White placed on probation for two years following his release.
• Joy Lynn Cunningham, 33, of Halifax had a charge against her for misdemeanor improper driving dismissed Thursday, upon completion of a driver improvement clinic.
Cunningham pleaded no contest to the charge Feb. 16 in a misdemeanor appeal case, and the court continued disposition of the case in order to allow the defendant to successfully complete the DMV-approved driver improvement clinic.
• Albert Lamont Lawson, 32, of Danville pleaded guilty Thursday to a felony charge for issuing a bad check.
Pursuant to a plea agreement with the commonwealth, the court sentenced Lawson to five years in prison, with all suspended but 12 months, conditioned on his good behavior for five years, and with credit for time served.
The court additionally ordered Lawson placed on probation for one year following his release, and it ordered him to pay $3,748 in restitution.
• Charles Edward Williams, 39, of Scottsburg pleaded guilty Thursday to a felony charge for enhanced petty larceny.
The court sentenced Williams to five years in prison, with all but 11 months suspended, with credit for time served and conditioned on his good behavior for five years, and it ordered him placed on probation for one year following his release.
The court ordered Williams to pay $5 in restitution.
• Ronnie Lee Majors, 44, of Virgilina had a misdemeanor charge against him for contempt of court/failure to appear dismissed Thursday.
• Shelton Javon O’Briant, 35, of Halifax had a charge against him for contempt of court dismissed Thursday.
• Brian Scott Fallen, 41, of Clover had a charge against him for a probation violation dismissed Thursday.