- Last Updated on 08:02 AM 07/04/14
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
A Cluster Springs man lost his home and his dog in a house fire Tuesday night after leaving his stove unattended.
According to Cluster Springs Volunteer Fire Department First Lt. Chris Hudson, Carroll Roberts of 6097 Cluster Springs Road was cooking in his brick home shortly after 6 p.m. when he left the stove unattended, and it caught fire.
When Cluster Springs Volunteer Fire Department personnel arrived on the scene with four trucks and 10 firefighters, the firemen witnessed heavy smoke and flames showing from the front window.
Assisting in fighting the blaze was Turbeville Volunteer Fire Department with three trucks and 10 firefighters.
Hudson said Roberts safely escaped the burning house uninjured, but his dog died in the fire.
Firefighters used 1,500 gallons of water with the help of a dry hydrant, pulling water from a nearby pond to extinguish the flames, said Hudson.
He estimated damage to the structure at $20,000 and $5,000 damage to the house’s contents.
The American Red Cross is assisting Roberts, according to Red Cross spokesperson Ginger Weaver.