- Last Updated on 07:44 AM 06/09/14
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
A family of five was displaced from its apartment in Taylor Lofts in South Boston following a fire called in at approximately 3 p.m. on Saturday, according to South Boston fire officials and American Red Cross.
South Boston Fire Chief Steve Phillps said no one was injured in the pan fire, which resulted from unattended cooking.
Kyra Brigham was identified as the resident of the apartment, according to Phillips, who said the fire activated a sprinkler unit in the apartment.
One of the people in the apartment used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire before fire crews and emergency personnel arrived at the scene, with the apartment building being evacuated so crews could check for damage and clear the building of smoke, according to Phillips.
The fire chief estimated fire and smoke damage to the apartment where the fire occurred and water damage to two apartments immediately below it at $8,000.
South Boston Fire Department responded with 10 personnel, a pumper and ladder truck, Halifax Volunteer Fire Department with 10 personnel, a pumper and equipment truck, Cluster Springs Volunteer Fire Department with five personnel and a pumper, Turbeville Volunteer Fire Department with two personnel and Midway Volunteer Fire Department with three personnel.
Halifax County Emergency Services Deputy Coordinator Chad Loftis and the American Red Cross also were at the scene, Phillips said.
Ginger Weaver, specialist for Territory 5, American Red Cross Disaster Services, said the American Red Cross is assisting the family with basic necessities until other arrangements can be made.