- Last Updated on 03:14 PM 04/24/14
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
“No clothes, no TVs, nothing.” That’s how Liberty Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Brown described the state of the Eric Phillips’ family of four after they “lost everything” when their two-story modular home caught fire shortly after 3 a.m. Thursday.
The Phillips family resided in a brand new modular home at 1205 Younger Road in Halifax and is currently being assisted by the American Red Cross, the assistant fire chief said.
“They hadn’t made the first payment on the home,” Brown said.
Liberty Volunteer Fire Department firefighters were the first to arrive on the scene of the house fire that is believed to have started in the half-bathroom on the second floor.
“It is under investigation. The fire marshal is supposed to go out and investigate today (Thursday),” Brown added.
When firemen arrived on the scene, heavy smoke was showing.
Within a couple of minutes, Brown said the men saw fire coming out of the roof.
The family of four had safely evacuated the home before firemen arrived.
A total of 12 Liberty firefighters responded to the early morning blaze with three trucks.
Assisting were Oak Level Volunteer Fire Department with one truck and three firefighters, Triangle Volunteer Fire Department with one truck and three firefighters, North Halifax Volunteer Fire Department with two trucks and seven firefighters and Halifax Volunteer Fire Department with two trucks and six firefighters.
In all, firefighters worked for more than five hours using 13,500 gallons of water to extinguish the flames.
Firefighters were called back to the house Thursday afternoon at 12:45 when the fire reportedly rekindled in the living room.
The home, declared a total loss, was valued at $187,000.