- Last Updated on 08:02 AM 12/09/13
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
Halifax Town Council has opted out of the new VRS Virginia Local Disability Program and is expected to opt instead for a comparable employer-paid disability program when it meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Halifax Town Hall.
The Virginia Municipal League (VML) insurance program is offering, through the Lincoln Financial Group, an alternative to the Virginia Local Disability Program, a single leave program, according to town staff.
All members must join the newly formed Virginia Local Government Insurance Association (VMLIP) to take advantage of that coverage.
The finance committee is slated to recommend joining the Virginia Local Government Insurance Association and contracting with the Lincoln Group for short and long-term disability coverage for all hybrid employees on Jan. 1 and all other eligible employees on July 1.
The finance committee also is recommending council adopt the Joint Power Association agreement resolution to join the Virginia Local Government Insurance Association.
Also during Tuesday’s meeting council is slated to authorize Town Manager Carl Espy to advertise the position of events coordinator to fill the vacancy left open by the resignation of Susi Robbins.
Council also has received VDOT authorization to award J. Harman Saunders Construction, Inc. the contract for the Banister River Gateway Project.
Halifax Police Chief Kevin Lands also is scheduled to give the monthly police report.
Items slated for discussion during the committees meeting and work sessions include the following:
• Hear the November 2013 finance report;
• Discuss the Virginia Municipal League (VML) Finance Forum held Dec. 4;
• Receive an update on CPA Creedle, Jones & Alga’s 2013 financial statement and annual audit;
• Get an update on the Halifax Village Association activities including the holiday open house/children’s Christmas parade and Community Clock Project;
• Be updated on the Town of Halifax Farmers Market activities and holiday indoor market;
• Receive a status report on the 35 MPH speed zone VDOT traffic study for Cowford Road (State Route 651);
• Receive an update on derelict properties and maintenance code enforcement;
• Hear more about the Halifax Downtown Revitalization/Town of Halifax Telecommunications Project and MBC Wireless Pilot Project; and
• Get another update on the Banister River Gateway Project.