- Last Updated on 07:31 AM 04/08/13
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
Halifax Town Council members will hear the first reading of the upcoming year’s budget when they hold their regular monthly meeting Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
In addition to the budget, council members are expected to ratify a joint resolution commemorating the life and public service of South Boston Mayor Carroll Thackston and approve a Virginia Retirement System resolution that will set the employer contribution rate and members’ contributions by salary reduction.
Other items slated on the agenda include adopting a lease/purchase agreement resolution with Munical Sales Equipment, Inc. and setting a May 4 public hearing for a rezoning application request from Eddie Tate to operate a food truck at 5264 Halifax Road.
Prior to the council meeting, the business development, finance and current affairs committees will meet at 6:30 p.m.
Items slated for discussion on the business development committee agenda include:
• An update from Susi Robbins on the April 20 Earth Day celebration;
• An update on the Halifax Village Business Association organizational activities including the community clock project;
• An update on Town of Halifax Farmers Market activities;
• An update on Halifax Marketplace building interim improvements; and
• An update on the Burlington property demolition and redevelopment by D. H. Griffin and the Halifax County Industrial Development Authority and Industrial Revitalization Fund.
Councilman Tom Brown chairs the business development committee.
Items slated for discussion on the finance committee agenda include the following:
• Community Arts Center Foundation Local Government Challenge Grant application;
• March 2013 finance report;
• Finance committee FY 2013-14 proposed budget overview;
• Virginia Retirement System resolution – 2013 employer-employee rate contribution; and
• Lease-purchase agreement resolution for Municipal Equipment Sales, Inc.
Councilman Dennis Witt chairs the finance committee.
Items slated for discussion on the current affairs committee include the following:
• Joint resolution commemorating the life and public service of South Boston Mayor Carroll Thackston;
• Town of Halifax Planning Commission public hearing on a rezoning request by Eddie Tate for operation of a mobile food truck in C-1 commercial zoning district at 5264 Halifax Road;
• Halifax County Library System Joint Library Advisory Committee: update on next scheduled meeting;
• Update on Virginia Department of Transportation “Watch for Children” signs;
• Update on VDOT latex, milling and repaving schedule for U.S. Highway 501, Virginia Byway 360 and Route 349;
• Update on VDOT safety improvements on Route 651 (Cowford Road);
• Update on derelict properties and maintenance code enforcement; and
• Update on Banister River Gateway Project.
At the close of the committees meeting, the public will have an opportunity to comment before council members adjourn immediately to their regular meeting.