- Last Updated on 07:41 AM 03/11/13
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
South Boston Town Council has a number of items on its agenda for tonight’s monthly meeting including the appointment of an interim mayor and two public hearings on real estate-related issues.
The meeting is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. at council chambers on Yancey Street.
Council is expected to appoint current Vice-Mayor Ed Owens as interim mayor to serve until a Nov. 5 special election.
At last month’s work session, council indicated its support of Owens to fill the mayoral seat vacated by the death of Carroll Thackston.
Council will conduct two public hearings Monday night, the first on conveyance of two lots in the Poplar Creek Subdivision to Southside Outreach Group for the ecoMod housing project.
The second public hearing is on a proposal to close the remainder of Prospect Avenue and the entire length of Grove Street between Penick and Jefferson Avenue, with the subsequent appointment of a board of viewers.
Other agenda items up for discussion Monday include:
• Pre-contract activities for a Washington-Coleman Housing Grant application to Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development;
• Virginia Resource Authority Bond financing resolution;
• Final approval of New Brick Lofts LLC agreements; and
• Board of zoning appeals appointment with a recommendation for the court to appoint William “Bill” McCaleb.