- Last Updated on 07:41 AM 05/22/13
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
A 19-year-old Scottsburg man, Allen Dale Burton Jr., was indicted Thursday by a Halifax County Circuit Court grand jury for larceny-related offenses.
An indictment is issued by a grand jury against an individual who is charged with a crime. Before the individual may be convicted, the charge must be proved at trial beyond a reasonable doubt.
The purpose of an indictment is to inform an accused individual of the charge against him or her so that the person will be able to prepare a defense.
The grand jury indicted Burton for grand larceny, breaking and entering, possession of stolen property with intent to sell and obtaining money by false pretenses.
The alleged offenses against Burton occurred in a period from Aug. 18-Aug. 21, 2012, according to court records.
• Darryl Lawrence Acree, 47, of Halifax was indicted Thursday for construction fraud.
The alleged offense occurred March 27.
• Justin Allen Adkins, 20, of Nathalie was indicted Thursday for possession of a Schedule I/II controlled substance.
The alleged offense occurred Sept. 20, 2012.
• Christopher Alan Ammons, 24, of Halifax was indicted Thursday for two counts of possession of a Schedule I/II controlled substance.
The alleged offenses occurred May 30, 2012.
• Andre Lamont Andrews, 27, of Rustburg was indicted Thursday for driving on a revoked operator’s license in violation of the terms of a restricted license where such a revocation was based on at least one conviction of an offense committed after July 1, 1999.
• Gregory Clayton Moore, 26, of South Boston was indicted Thursday for possession of cocaine.
The alleged offense occurred May 13.
• Steven Lee Brooks, 31, of South Boston was indicted Thursday for failing to register as a sex offender.
The alleged offense occurred Dec. 10, 2012.