- Last Updated on 04:54 PM 05/09/13
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
A 20-year-old South Boston man, Shanon Gerard Rutledge, entered Alford pleas Wednesday in Halifax County Circuit Court to a pair of charges for using a computer to solicit sexual offenses with a minor.
Under terms of an Alford plea, a defendant does not admit guilt but realizes prosecution evidence would make a guilty finding at trial almost a certainty.
Pursuant to the Alford plea agreement, the commonwealth moved to nol pros two additional charges against the defendant, both for taking indecent liberties with a minor.
The offenses for which Rutledge was convicted occurred June 21, 2011, according to court records.
Rutledge is free on bond until a sentencing date set for the May court term.
Other court cases
• Malina Justine Hicks, 27, of South Boston was convicted Wednesday of a show cause charge for a probation violation.
The court revoked 30 days of Hicks’ previously suspended sentence, with weekend jail service authorized.
• Edward Dean Ballou, 35, of Alton had two charges against him dismissed Wednesday in Halifax County Circuit Court, both for probation violations.
• Steve Aaron Gregory Jr., 28, of South Boston had a show cause charge against him for a probation violation dismissed Wednesday in Halifax County Circuit Court.
• Robert Lee Martin, 52, of Virgilina entered an Alford plea Wednesday to a charge for petty larceny from Walmart.
Martin is free on bond pending sentencing set for the November court term.
• Kevin Demario Powell, 23, of Halifax had a charge against him for a probation violation dismissed Wednesday upon payment of restitution and court costs.
• Christopher Sydnor, 54, of Halifax had a court order requiring him to complete VASSAP revoked on Wednesday.
The court subsequently ordered Sydnor not to attend VASSAP.
• Jerry Dwayne Walker, 48, of Danville was convicted Wednesday of a show cause charge for a probation violation.
The court revoked 12 months of the defendant’s previously suspended sentence and extended his probation six months.
• John Steven Watts, 50, of South Boston had the commonwealth move to nol pros a charge against him Wednesday for failure to comply with court-ordered VASSAP.
The court subsequently ordered the defendant to complete the VASSAP program.