- Last Updated on 07:48 AM 10/29/12
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
A South Boston man and a Halifax man have each been charged with breaking and entering and grand larceny stemming from a break-in that occurred Wednesday at the residence of Charles Bane on Pine Haven Trail in Halifax.
According to Halifax County Sheriff Fred Clark, 24-year-old Joseph Matthew Arnold of Cherry Street, South Boston and 22-year-old Jonathan Chase Stephens of Halls Trail, Halifax were charged with the alleged offenses Friday.
Clark said Investigator T. R. Spencer responded to a report of a break-in at the Bane home on Wednesday and found the back door to the basement had been kicked open.
Bane reported over $200 in quarters had been taken in the break-in.
Following an investigation, Spencer arrested Arnold and Stephens on the breaking and entering and grand larceny charges two days later, Clark said.
Both men are being held without bond at the Halifax Adult Detention Center, the sheriff said.
• Bijan Shoja Sangani, 55, of Oak Lane, Halifax faces a drunk in public charge, according to Halifax County Sheriff’s Office records.
The alleged offense occurred Friday, and Deputy T. H. Clarke served the warrant Friday.
• A 24-year-old South Boston man faces a drug charge of marijuana distribution, according to South Boston Police Office records.
Charlie Allen Hamlett was charged with the alleged offense Thursday.
• James Edward Johnson Jr., 18, of Halifax faces a trespassing charge.
Johnson was charged with the alleged offense Thursday.
• Betty Jean Covington, 80, of South Boston faces charges of stalking and trespassing.
Covington was charged with the alleged offenses Thursday.
• Charles Mills, 21, of South Boston faces a felony charge of malicious bodily injury.
The alleged incident occurred June 24, and Officer J.J. George served the warrant Saturday.
Mills was being held in jail without bond.
• Melvin Womack, 23, of South Boston faces a felony charge of unauthorized use and a misdemeanor charge of disregarding a law enforcement officer.
Cpl. J. C. Berry served the warrants Sunday.
Womack was held on a $2,500 secured bond for the felony charge and on a $1,000 unsecured bond for the misdemeanor charge.
• Jontia Betts, 18, of South Boston faces a misdemeanor charge of assault.
The incident is alleged to have occurred Oct. 20, and Officer J.B. Throckmorton served the warrant Friday.
Betts was held on a $3,000 secured bond
• James Wyatt, 25, of South Boston faces a misdemeanor charge of being drunk in public.
The alleged incident occurred Saturday, and Cpl. Berry served the warrant the same day.