- Last Updated on 07:36 AM 08/06/12
- BY The Gazette-Virginian
A 41-year-old South Boston man, Dean Jeffrey Palmer, pleaded guilty Wednesday in Halifax County Circuit Court to a felony charge of breaking and entering and a misdemeanor charge of petty larceny.
Pursuant to a plea agreement with the commonwealth, the court dismissed two other charges against the defendant, one for conspiring to commit grand larceny and the other for conspiring to break and enter (with prejudice).
The plea agreement calls for the court to sentence Palmer to five years in prison for breaking and entering and 12 months for petty larceny, with the terms to run concurrently and with all time suspended to that already served.
The court ordered the suspended portion of Palmer’s sentence be conditioned on his good behavior for five years and be placed on probation for two years upon his release.
In another matter, Palmer pleaded not guilty to two charges, a probation violation and contempt of court.
The court continued disposition of the probation violation charge for six months and dismissed the contempt of court charge.
Other court cases
• Derrick Montez Perkins, 33, of Halifax had a charge against him for possession of cocaine nol prossed Thursday upon a motion by the commonwealth.
In response to a defense objection to the commonwealth’s move to nol pros the cocaine charge, the commonwealth agreed to not bring the case back.
• Howard Anderson Yancey, 41, of Virgilina was convicted Thursday of misdemeanor destruction of personal property.
The court sentenced Yancey to 12 months in jail, the time to run concurrently with another sentence recently imposed, and it ordered Yancey to be of good behavior for one year.
The court ordered Yancey to pay $1,925 restitution within 18 months through Halifax-Pittsylvania Court Services and to have no contact with Clyde Morgan or his property.
• Brandon Wade Betterton, 29, of Gretna pleaded guilty Monday to a pair of misdemeanors for destruction of property (Robert’s Quick Shop) and entering property with intent to damage.
Pursuant to a plea agreement with the commonwealth, the court sentenced Betterton to 12 months in jail, with all but six months suspended for destruction of personal property, and to 12 months for entering property with intent to damage, with no time suspended for that charge.
The court ordered the suspended portion of Betterton’s sentence be conditioned on his good behavior for 12 months and ordered him placed on probation for three years upon his release.
In addition, the court ordered the defendant to enter and successfully complete an addiction rehabilitation program, perform 200 hours of community service, obtain and maintain employment and pay $400 restitution to Robert Waller under supervision of Halifax-Pittsylvania Court Services.
• Quintara Janay Hicks, 22, of South Boston had a charge against her for assault and battery dismissed Monday, in a misdemeanor appeal case.
• Kevin Lashon Stevens, 29, of Halifax pleaded guilty Monday to possession of cocaine.
Pursuant to a plea agreement with the commonwealth, the court sentenced Stevens to five years in prison, with all time suspended to that already served, conditioned on his good behavior for five years.
The court ordered Stevens placed on probation for one year, ordered him to abstain from illegal drugs and suspended his operator’s license for six months.
• Wayne Dickerson Reese Jr. of Nathalie entered a plea of no contest Monday to misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
The court sentenced Reese to a 12-month suspended sentence, conditioned on his good behavior for 12 months, and it ordered a restricted operator’s license for the defendant for six months.
• Bryant Lovess Yancey, 44, of Danville had a charge against him for attempted grand larceny from Belk nol prossed Monday upon a motion by the commonwealth.