- Last Updated on 03:31 PM 03/05/12
- BY Staff
A 40-year-old South Boston woman was sentenced Monday in Halifax County Circuit Court to pay $21,830.75 restitution for five welfare fraud-related convictions.
The court sentenced Patricia Fallen Puryear to 10 years in prison for each of the five charges, three for welfare fraud and two for making a false application to receive welfare.
The court suspended all but one weekend in jail, conditioned on Puryear’s good behavior for 10 years, and it ordered her to perform 250 hours of community service in addition to paying $21,830.75 in restitution.
Puryear pleaded guilty in December to three counts of making a false welfare statement and two counts of making a false welfare application.
Pursuant to a plea agreement with the commonwealth, 10 other related charges against the defendant were nol prossed, including three for making a false welfare application, five for welfare larceny and two for making a false welfare statement.
Other court cases
Margaret Mary Clay, 50, of Clover had charges against her for possession of a Schedule I/II controlled substance and possession or distribution of drug paraphernalia dismissed Monday.
• Johnny Lee Davis, 61, of Evington had a show cause charge against him for a probation violation dismissed Monday.
• John Tyrone Jones, 39, of South Boston was convicted Monday of a probation violation.
The court revoked Jones’ previously suspended prison sentence but re-suspended any new jail time to that already served and ordered one year of additional probation for Jones.
The commonwealth moved to nol pros three other charges against Jones during the hearing, two for contempt of court and one for a violation of his pretrial conditions of supervision.
• Barry Lynn Poole, 52, of Oxford, N.C. had a charge against him for possession of cocaine dismissed Monday.
Poole pleaded no contest to the drug possession charge July 28, 2010, with the court withholding its finding of guilt and granting him first offender status while continuing the case.
The court placed Poole under supervision of Halifax-Pittsylvania Court Services, ordered him to complete 100 hours of community service and ordered him to abstain from illegal drugs and alcohol.
• Frank Lee Seamster Jr., 42, of Alton had two charges against him dismissed Monday, one for contempt of court and the other for a probation violation.