- Last Updated on 11:01 AM 01/06/10
- BY Staff
A South Boston house was heavily damaged Thursday afternoon after a fire broke out in the kitchen, according to South Boston fire officials.
South Boston Fire Department was called to a house fire reported at 214 Cherry St. at 1:36 p.m. Thursday, Chief Steve Phillips said.
When they arrived at the scene, firefighters found heavy smoke and flames showing in the downstairs area, and the fire had started moving to the upstairs of the two-story wood frame house, Phillips said.
The resident of the house, Rontina Coleman, was asleep at the time the fire broke out, according to the chief. Coleman’s brother, who Phillips did not name, had been in the kitchen and left for a few minutes.
While he was out of the room, a pan of grease had ignited, and when he returned, he found heavy smoke and fire going up the wall, Phillips said. The brother woke up Coleman and got her out of the house, Phillips added.
The fire crept up a stairway and burned the tops of several doors in the house, the chief said. The whole house had heat and smoke damage, and the downstairs area around the kitchen and up the stairway had fire damage, said Phillips.
South Boston Fire Department responded with three trucks and 12 firefighters, assisted by Halifax Volunteer Fire Department with two trucks and six firefighters. No one was injured, and firefighters remained on the scene until approximately 3:15 p.m.
Phillips said the house, which is owned by Mike Harris, sustained an estimated $50,000 in damages.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.