YourGV.com

Monday, Jul 28th

Last updateMon, 28 Jul 2014 7am

You are here: Home News Local News Blaze Damages Nathalie Home

Blaze Damages Nathalie Home


A fire that started when a pan of grease ignited on the stove heavily damaged a Nathalie house Monday afternoon, according to Liberty Volunteer Fire Department officials.

The fire department received a call at 2:28 p.m. Monday reporting a house fire at 4091 Stoney Ridge Road, a Liberty VFD spokesman said. When they arrived at the scene at 2:35, the firefighters found heavy smoke showing from the eaves and back of the single-story wood frame house.

Liberty responded with four trucks and nine firefighters. North Halifax VFD assisted with three trucks and eight firefighters, and Triangle VFD assisted with two trucks and seven firefighters.

Once inside, firefighters found the kitchen engulfed in flames, the spokesman said. They were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen and living room, but the entire house was damaged by heat and smoke, he added.

Barbara Johnson, the owner and resident of the house, said she had turned off the stove and went into another room. But when she returned to the kitchen the grease had caught fire, the spokesman said. Johnson went outside the house and called 911 on a cell phone, he added.

Firefighters remained on the scene until 3:51 p.m. Damage to the house was estimated at $50,000, and no one was injured, the spokesman said.