Friday, Jul 25th

Last updateFri, 25 Jul 2014 7am

You are here: Home News Local News Nathalie man killed in motorcycle wreck after police chase

Nathalie man killed in motorcycle wreck after police chase

A 41-year-old Nathalie man died when the 1999 Suzuki 600 cc motorcycle he was driving struck a tree on Clays Mill Road at 11:47 Friday night.

Anthony Lamont Bass was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

Bass had previously been released from jail for convictions of felony eluding police and driving after having been declared an habitual offender.

His body was transported to the medical examiner’s office in Richmond, and the Virginia State Police continue to handle the investigation.

Earlier that night at 10:49, authorities reported a call came in to the 911 center from a motorist saying that their vehicle had just been struck by a pickup truck in the vicinity of Walmart, and the truck had continued on without stopping.

According to Sheriff Stanley Noblin, the caller said they were following the truck at that time.

South Boston police officers responded, as well as Halifax County deputies.

Noblin said the caller then stated the truck was smoking, and it had pulled over in the Bagwell Drive/Burton Road area (near Scottsburg), and a person had jumped from the truck and ran.

Officers arrived on the scene, and shortly another passing motorist stopped to tell them they had just seen a person run across the road approximately 100 yards behind one of the police cruisers, the sheriff added.

As the officers made their way in that direction, they noticed a motorcycle coming slowly towards them, which then stopped in the roadway near where the person had run across.

When they got closer, the motorcyclist began revving his engine, Noblin said.  Just before they got to him, the motorcycle spun around in the road and took off in the opposite direction.

The officers followed him to the Burton Road and Clays Mill Road intersection, at which time the motorcycle turned left onto Clays Mill Road and took off at a high rate of speed, the sheriff said.

Officers then activated their blue lights and sirens and attempted to follow the motorcycle; but the rider only made it a short distance before he lost control of the motorcycle, running off the left side of the road, sliding back onto the roadway and then back off the road again, striking a fallen tree, he said.

Noblin said Bass was thrown from the motorcycle, which continued flipping down the side of the road before coming to a stop in the ditch.

The accident occurred on State Route 610, one-half mile north of State Route 614.

State Trooper K. R. Martin is the investigating officer.