- Last Updated on 12:00 AM 01/28/11
- BY Staff
Seven county residents were arrested on various drug charges Wednesday by members of the Halifax/South Boston Regional Narcotics and Gang Task Force, according to Virginia State Police Special Agent Mark Campbell, task force coordinator.
The task force executed a search warrant at 2055 Leighwood Trail, Halifax and arrested Earl Tydell Ross, 30, of Halifax on three counts of distribution of cocaine, Campbell said.
Additional charges on Ross are pending, he added.
Seized during the search warrant were suspected crack cocaine, suspected marijuana, firearms, vehicles and an undisclosed amount of U.S. currency, the special agent said.
Also arrested on outstanding narcotics indictments were:
• Carlton L. Chalmers, 38, South Boston—two counts each of distribution of cocaine and conspiracy to distribute cocaine;
• Russell L. Newman, 33, Halifax—four counts of distribution of cocaine;
• John O. Watkins III, 27, Alton—one count of felony distribution of marijuana, one count of distribution of cocaine and one count of distribution of methamphetamine;
• Troy J. Ferrell, 28, Halifax—two counts each of distribution of cocaine and conspiracy to distribute cocaine;
• Jonathan L. Lipscomb, 26, South Boston—four counts of distribution of cocaine; and
• Qumont J. Tucker, 27, South Boston—four counts of distribution of cocaine.
Campbell said Virginia State Police and officers from the Town of South Boston Police Department and Halifax County Sheriff’s Office assisted the task force in making the arrests.
Speaking on behalf of the task force, Campbell thanked the citizens of Halifax County, the Town of Halifax and the Town of South Boston for their assistance and information that led to the arrest of the seven individuals