- Last Updated on 12:00 AM 01/14/11
- BY Staff
An Aarons Creek residence sustained damages estimated in the thousands from a house fire Thursday morning, according to Midway Volunteer Fire Department Chief Monty Lowery.
Firefighters were called to the residence of Sandra and Bernard Rister at 11039 Bill Tuck Highway at 10:33 a.m. for a reported fire in the wall of the house, Lowery said.
Upon arrival, the firefighters found smoke showing on the outside of the two-story wood frame house, and when they entered the residence they found flames in the living room area running up to the second story around the chimney area, the chief said.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to that area and had it under control in about nine minutes, but they remained on the scene until 1:10 p.m., Lowery explained.
Midway VFD responded with two trucks and nine firefighters, assisted by South Boston Fire Department with two trucks and 14 firefighters and Virgilina VFD with one truck and three firefighters.
Lowery said the Risters were at home at the time of the fire, but they escaped unharmed. He also said he believes the fire started as a chimney fire and then spread to the wall.
Fire officials estimated damages at $25,000 to the house and $5,000 to the contents.