YourGV.com

Thursday, Jul 24th

Last updateFri, 25 Jul 2014 7am

You are here: Home News Local News One person injured in Thursday night fire

One person injured in Thursday night fire

One person received burns but did not require hospitalization Thursday night in a house fire on Nunnleys Bridge Road. According to Oak Level Volunteer Fire Chief Dean Waltman, a grease fire on the stove caused about $10,000 in fire and smoke damage to the single story brick home owned by Cathie Dixon and her husband.

“The daughter of the lady who owned the house can be credited with saving that house,” Chief Waltman said. “She had the fire knocked down when we got there.”

Waltman said a pan of grease on a stove was responsible for the kitchen blaze that burned cabinets, curtains, a microwave and two walls of the kitchen and caused extensive smoke damage.

Dixon’s daughter suffered first-degree burns and possibly some second degree burns on her arms while extinguishing the fire, he said.

Dixon suffered an asthma attack as a result of the fire but did not require hospitalization, Waltman said.

Six Oak Level VFD firefighters on four trucks traveled across ice covered roads to respond to the 8 p.m. house fire and spent approximately one hour on the scene.

Assisting Oak Level were Halifax and Liberty Volunteer Fire Departments.

“When we arrived the house was full of smoke, and the fire appeared to be out,” Waltman said.

The chief said Halifax and Liberty were turned around en route since the fire had been extinguished when firefighters arrived.