- Last Updated on 11:00 PM 11/11/10
- BY Staff
South Boston native Leigh Fuller Edwards this week announced she will seek the office of Halifax County Commissioner of the Revenue in the 2011 election.
A certified residential real estate appraiser, Edwards said she believes her more than 12 years as a certified residential and vacant land appraiser would be an asset to the functioning of the office.
“While conducting real estate appraisals, I have spent numerous hours conducting research in circuit court clerks’ offices and commissioners’ of the revenue offices in many counties, both in Virginia and in North Carolina,” Edwards said. “This included property sales history and plat research.
“In addition, I have physically inspected numerous parcels of real estate utilizing tax cards and aerial tax photos,” she added.
Edwards said her primary goal, if elected, is “to run an efficient office that serves the county and its residents.”
She said the main points she intends to focus on include:
• ensuring that every county taxpayer is treated in a helpful, courteous manner by a knowledgeable staff member eager to serve;
• communicating with town and county offices to work efficiently together;
• providing property owners with an opportunity to inform assessors of any changes to his or her property prior to assessment;
• maintaining field notes to help the landowner understand the value of the assessment;
• assuring that assessments reflect current market conditions; and
• competently addressing citizens’ concerns regarding assessments by utilizing her experience in private real estate appraisal.
“I just want to use my experience in the private sector over the past 16 years to help and serve the people of Halifax County,” Edwards said. “I invite your questions, comments and ideas, and if you see me campaigning out in public, please feel free to share your thoughts or concerns with me.”
Edwards is a current resident of South Boston, the daughter of Janet F. and Wayne A. Fuller. She is a 1988 graduate of Halifax County High School and a 1993 graduate of Mary Washington College (now University of Mary Washington) with a B.S. in mathematics.
She is married to H. Reed Edwards and is the mother of a 7-year-old daughter, Maelyn, who currently attends South Boston Elementary School.