Wednesday, Jul 30th

Last updateWed, 30 Jul 2014 8am

You are here: Home News Local News UPDATE: Tuesday fire that destroyed home started in kitchen

UPDATE: Tuesday fire that destroyed home started in kitchen

The fire destroyed a mobile home in South Boston on Tuesday afternoon started in the kitchen, according to authorities.

A South Boston Fire Department spokesman said the home, valued at approximately $30,000, was declared a total loss.

The fire department received a call at 2:56 p.m. for a report of a house fire at 2099 Maid Marian Lane, the spokesman said. Emergency officials also called Halifax Volunteer Fire Department to assist.

When they arrived, firefighters found flames at the rear of the mobile home with heavy black smoke billowing from the rear and white smoke from other parts of the house, the spokesman said.

Shirley Ballou, owner and resident of the mobile home, was at home at the time of the fire but escaped unharmed, he added.
The blaze started in the kitchen and hallways area of the mobile home, according to fire officials.

South Boston Fire Department responded with 16 firefighters and four trucks, with Halifax Volunteer Fire Department assisting with five firefighters and two trucks.

The South Boston Police Department, Halifax County Sheriff’s Office and Virginia State Police assisted with traffic control down the narrow road.

Firefighters remained on the scene for over two and a half hours, the spokesman said.

The Halifax County Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family of three, according to Ginger Weaver, executive director.