- Last Updated on 12:59 PM 08/12/10
- BY Staff
The deadline to apply for 2010 cooling assistance is Monday, Aug. 16. The 120 local departments of social services throughout Virginia will accept applications postmarked or received through Monday, Aug. 16, as part of the Virginia Department of Social Services’ (VDSS) Energy Assistance Program.
Assistance is available to households that include a child under age 6, a disabled individual or an adult age 60 or over who meet income and eligibility requirements.
Cooling assistance can be used to assist families and individuals with:
• payment of electric bills up to $100 to operate cooling equipment;
• payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment;
• repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump;
• purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fans; and
• purchase and installation of one window unit air conditioner for households without a working one.
The Energy Assistance Program is funded by the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program block grant. The cooling assistance component served nearly 70,000 Virginia households last year.
To learn more visit http://www.dss.virginia.gov/benefit/ea/cooling/index.cgi. Families and individuals must apply at the local department of social services in the locality where they reside by Aug. 16.