- Last Updated on 08:07 AM 07/19/10
- BY Staff
The second Third Thursday event of the year was held Thursday evening in “The Green” next to Carter Bank and Trust Downtown South Boston.
A group of supporters came out to participate in the festivities including Doin’ the Main Street Poker Run, Art on the Wall and Sittin’ Pretty chairs auction.
Third Thursday also offered snacks, drinks and a lot of fun, according to its organizers.
Several downtown businesses stayed open late offering patrons great deals and discounts including The Bistro 1888, Puryear’s Florist, Distinct Impressions, Three Woman & No Truck, Caffé Peroni, Parsons-Bruce Gallery, Mike’s TV, Electric Service Co., Sullivan’s Antiques and Enchanted Surroundings.
The evening also featured the auction of the Sittin’ Pretty chairs.
First Presbyterian Church
recently donated 21 children’s wooden chairs for the project, and artists have turned them into fun and whimsical pieces of art in vibrant colors.
The artists and sponsoring businesses for July’s chairs included:
• Artist Susi Robbins’ chair was sponsored by SunTrust Bank.
• Artist Hallie Farber’s chair was sponsored by Carter Bank & Trust.
• Artist Desiree Shaffer’s chair was sponsored by House of Carpets.
• Artist Nola Watkins’ chair was sponsored by Mike’s TV.
• Artist Kay Lewis’ chair was sponsored by Carter Bank & Trust
• Artist Karen Shelton’s chair was sponsored by Dave White, State Farm Insurance.
The highlight of the evening featured Motown and Blues singer Ross LeCompte and The Universal Singers Band.
The next Third Thursday event will be held Aug.19 and will feature vocalist Courtney Thomasson and keyboard artist Raymond Crawley.