- Last Updated on 07:53 AM 04/07/10
- BY Staff
Omar Springs, 21, of South Boston is being held at the Halifax Adult Detention Center under no bond after being charged with the malicious wounding of a police officer and brandishing a firearm.
According to Lt. D. W. Barker, the altercation took place Friday night around 10:30 p.m. when South Boston Police Officer C. M. Mann approached Springs behind an apartment building in the Willow Oaks Apartment complex.
Barker said the officer suspected criminal activity and when he got close to Springs, the subject ran with the officer giving chase.
Springs is accused of having drawn a handgun during the brief foot pursuit and allegedly pointing it in the direction of the officer just before the officer caught him, Barker said.
A struggle began over the firearm, and during the altercation, Springs allegedly bit the officer several times on his arms before Mann was able to wrestle the firearm from him and take Springs into custody, Barker added.
Mann sustained injuries during the altercation and was treated and released from Halifax Regional Hospital Friday night, Barker said.
The investigation is continuing and further charges are anticipated, he added.
Also over the weekend Halifax Police Department Officer S. M. Comer arrested 25-year-old Edward L. Franklin of Lynchburg Saturday on a probation violation charge that resulted from an original charge of assault and battery against a law enforcement officer.
According to Halifax Police Lt. D. D. Irby, the capias was issued March 31 by the Circuit Court of the City of Lynchburg.
Also on Saturday, Irby said Officer W. G. Yancey arrested 24-year-old Carroll L. Barksdale Jr. of Halifax on the charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and operating a motor vehicle while his operator’s license was suspended.
On Thursday at 11:54 p.m. members of the Halifax Fire Department, Halifax Police Officer A. D. Tribble and South Boston Police Cpl. T. B. White responded to a vehicle fire at 1122 Golf Course Road.
According to Irby, a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt registered to Joannie Green of South Boston sustained damages estimated at $18,500.
The police department and the Virginia State Police are investigating the cause of the fire, Irby said.
Anyone with information regarding the fire is asked to call the Halifax Police Department at 476-2526 or call the Halifax County Crime Line at 476-8445.
• In other law enforcement matters, a 20-year-old Clover man is facing a misdemeanor assault and battery charge, according to Halifax County Sheriff’s Office records.
Keion T. Carolina of Reverend Coleman Road was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery of a family or household member.
The offense allegedly occurred Sunday, and Cpl. C. S. Yeatts served the warrant that afternoon.
Carolina also was charged with failure to appear in Chesapeake General District Court on March 26.
Cpl. Yeatts also served that capias warrant Sunday afternoon.
• William Jerome Johnson, 54, Halifax Road, Danville, was charged with felony DWI, fourth offense within a period of 10 years. Johnson also was charged with misdemeanor driving a motor vehicle after forfeiture of his operator’s license.
The offenses allegedly occurred Sunday, and Deputy T. H. Clarke served the warrants that night.
• David William Brown, 44, David’s Trail, Halifax, was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery.
The offense allegedly occurred Friday, and Cpl. T. K. Redd served the warrant that night.
• TreMel Vincent Childress, 23, Ball Park Loop, Halifax, was charged with misdemeanor using profane or threatening language to another over the telephone.
The offense allegedly occurred Friday, and Deputy W. G. Nunn served the warrant Monday.
• Eileen Marie Slemp, 28, E. Criser Road, Front Royal, was charged with failure to appear in Halifax Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court on March 30.
Another law enforcement department served the capias warrant March 31.
• Braxton Wade Tharpe, 24, Scott Road, Saxe, was charged with failure to appear in Halifax County General District Court on March 19.
Virginia State Trooper J. V. Bavely served the capias warrant Saturday afternoon.
• Quincy Polk, 25, Halifax, was charged with failure to appear in Halifax County General District Court on March 19.
Sgt. D. H. Barksdale served the capias warrant Saturday night.