- Last Updated on 08:32 AM 01/11/10
- BY Staff
Halifax County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating the attempted armed robbery of a county business Friday night, according to Sheriff Stanley Noblin.
Deputies were called at 8:24 p.m. Friday to the Country Corner Store on Hitesburg Church Road in Virgilina for a report of an attempted armed robbery, Noblin said.
The store clerk said that a tall black male wearing an orange ski mask and black bib-overalls came into the store, pointed a handgun at her and demanded money from the cash register, the sheriff said.
Shortly after, a customer’s vehicle pulled into the lot, Noblin said. A second black male wearing a reddish-colored bandana over the lower part of his face and a tan-colored hooded jacket came into the store and told the first man, “we gotta go.”
The customer who had pulled onto the lot saw the men run behind the store. Noblin said they left without taking anything.
A sheriff’s office tracking dog was called to the scene and tracked a short distance down the road behind the store, the sheriff said. It is possible the two men may have left in a 1980s model Ford LTD or another similar vehicle, he added.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office at 434-476-3334.
• In other law enforcement matters, a 26-year-old South Boston man is facing two felony counts, according to sheriff’s office records.
Bradshaw Lamar Woody of Porter Lane was charged in a grand jury indictment with two counts of participating in a criminal act-distribution of a schedule II substance (cocaine) for the benefit of, or in association with, a criminal street gang.
The offenses allegedly occurred March 16, and Sgt. D. H. Barksdale served the warrants Friday.
• Raymond Lee Williams, 20, Hughes Woods Road, Roxboro, was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana-first offense.
The offense allegedly occurred Saturday, and Deputy T. H. Clarke served the warrant the same day.
• Joel Lee Coleman, 60, Logan Road, Java, was charged with felony driving a motor vehicle on a highway after having been found to be an habitual offender.
The offense allegedly occurred Saturday, and Deputy Clarke served the warrant the same day.
• Stephanie Smith Hudson, 36, Cunningham Road, Semora, was served two capias warrants for failure to appear in Halifax County General District Court on July 1 and on July 17.
Sgt. Barksdale served the two capias warrants Sunday.
• Michael Anthony Held, 41, Turbeville Road, Alton, was charged with misdemeanor violation of the provisions of a protective order.
The offense allegedly occurred Friday, and Deputy Clarke served the warrant Saturday.