- Last Updated on 07:53 AM 10/15/12
- BY Special to the Gazette
The Halifax County Historical Society is having its “Antiques and Heirlooms Auction” on Saturday, Nov. 3, beginning at 5 p.m.
The proceeds will be used to help fund the publishing of an architectural history of the county. Tickets are available at the Visitor Center, Electric Service, Peddler’s Market and Triangle Florist. The cost is $25 per person which includes cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. Tickets should be purchased by Nov. 1 since only a few will be available at the door for $30.
One item of interest will be a Pender’s Wagon donated by Sam and Kay Lewis.
Where was Penders?
Why the name Pender?
David Pender, a native of Tarboro, N.C., came to Norfolk in the 1890s seeking his fortune, just as had many young men who had left farms and small towns and traveled to cities in search of their future.
Working in the retail grocery industry, Pender soon set out to establish his own store. That store was opened as the David Pender Grocery Company at the corner of Market Street and Monticello Avenue in Norfolk in 1900.
The store was a success, and Pender incorporated his company in January 1901. Over the next 19 years the store prospered, offering the people of Norfolk the finest in groceries, meats and fresh produce.
A fleet of horse drawn wagons was employed in the earliest years, delivering goods to outlying areas. So great was the trade that in 1919 Pender decided to open a branch store and a location at 619 Colley Avenue, also in Norfolk.
Other stores followed, and soon Pender “DP” stores were found across Eastern and Central Virginia and North Carolina.
On Jan. 1, 1926, David Pender Grocery Company became a publicly owned corporation, and having built the chain to a total of 244 stores, founder David Pender retired.
The local Pender’s Store was located on Main Street in the Town of Halifax next to the Exchange Store. This wagon represents a part of county history from days gone by and will be for sale at the auction.