- Last Updated on 04:00 PM 07/05/12
- BY Shelia Bradley/Special to The Gazette
Sun, sand, umbrellas…..Does that remind you of anything? The beach!
You got it. Summer’s here and close on its heels is the 32nd annual Virginia Cantaloupe Festival Friday, July 27, at the Halifax County Fairgrounds.
Shag the night away ankle deep in “snowy” white sand to one of the best the beach has to offer – “Legends of Beach” featuring Jackie Gore (formerly of the Embers).
Check them out at http://www.legendsofbeach.com/fr_home.cfm
Yes – beach is back in a big way. “Legends of Beach” was formed in 2007 by former Embers member, Gerald Davis. Along with Gore, listen to Teri Gore Lemond, the “Original Carolina Girl,” as she combines her own special blend of Southern Soul and rhythm and blues.
Lemond is backed by a full complement of horns with Ben Shaw (Fantastic Shakers, Kays, Castaways) on trumpet and Eddie Blair on sax.
Johnny Barker (Embers, Budweiser commercials) on piano and keyboard and Tony Davis (The Kays, The O’Kaysions) on drums keep the rhythm thumping.
Making a repeat performance at the Cantaloupe Festival, “The Pizazz Band” is made up of Kent Zimmerman, lead vocals and dancing machine; Mark Davidson on guitar; Kenny Hancock on bass; Craig Motley on keyboards, trumpet and back-up vocals; Chip Johnson- drums and back up vocals; and Craig Motley,keyboards, lead and back up vocals. Robbie Franklin makes them all sound good.
High energy and a wide song selection is what keeps Pizazz on the road. Check them out: http://www.thepizazzband.net/home.cfm
Only 2,500 tickets will be sold so don’t wait. Tickets went on sale on June 1 for $30 online, http://www.valopefest.com/tickets_new.htm,.
To buy a ticket the old-fashioned way, get them at the following, convenient locations:
• Halifax County Chamber of Commerce - 515 Broad Street, South Boston, VA, 434-572-3085
• South Boston/Halifax County Visitors Center - 1180 Bill Tuck Highway, South Boston, VA, 434-572-2543
• Triangle Florist - 3 S. Main Street, Halifax, VA, 434-476-7246
• Danville/Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce - 8653 US Highway 29, Blairs, VA, 434-836-6990
• WAKG/WBTM - 710 Grove St., Danville, VA, 434-793-4449 or 434-793-4411
• Clarksville Lake Country Chamber of Commerce - 105 2nd Street, Clarksville, VA 434-374-2436
• Roxboro Area Chamber of Commerce - 211 N. Main Street, Roxboro, NC 336-599-8333
For additional information, call the Halifax County Chamber of Commerce at 434/572-3085 or visit them online at http://www.halifaxchamber.net/.